One lakh students hit by Meghalaya teachers` strike
Over one lakh students across Meghalaya were on Wednesday affected by a strike called by school and college teachers protesting the government`s unresponsive and "adamant attitude" toward their demands.
Shillong: Over one lakh students across Meghalaya were on Wednesday affected by a strike called by school and college teachers protesting the government`s unresponsive and "adamant attitude" toward their demands.
"Our three-day strike started today, and has affected over a lakh students from primary school to college level across Meghalaya, mainly due to the unresponsive and adamant attitude of the government by not inviting us for talks," said E D Nongsiang, chairman of the Joint Action Committee of All Teachers` Associations of Meghalaya (JACATAM).
The JACATAM is a conglomeration of various school and college teachers` associations, from primary school up to college level, of deficit and ad hoc system institutions.
The teachers have been agitating since August 21, seeking an audience with Chief Minister Mukul Sangma and Deputy Chief Minister in-charge of education R C Laloo to discuss reforms in the Meghalaya Board of School Education (MBoSE), regular payment of salaries to teachers and provincialisation of schools.
"The government has forced us to resort to this strike for its double standards. We will intensify our agitation to put pressure on the government to fulfil our demands," Nongsiang said.
Laloo said his doors were always open for the teachers to hold talks. But the deputy chief minister added that he did not believe in giving assurances.
Mukul Sangma is yet to comment on the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal