Panel suggests independent authority for higher education standards
A committee named to draft rules on distance education on Thursday suggested setting up of an independent authority through an act of Parliament to regulate the standards of higher education.
New Delhi: A committee named to draft rules on distance education on Thursday suggested setting up of an independent authority through an act of Parliament to regulate the standards of higher education.
It is likely to be called the Distance Education Council of India (DECI), which could eventually subsume with the Higher Education and Research Bill when it is passed.
However, as the enactment of the legislation could take some time, it has suggested that DECI could be set up as an interim body through necessary directions.
"First of all, the interim authority shall evolve systems related to development of programme specific quality benchmarks in respect of all relevant parameters, system for on line application and processing, and disclosure of relevant information on the website of the institution and development of quality self learning material etc," the committee said.
It should also evolve a credible system of counseling, evaluation of assignments and examination.
Once the systems are in position, DECI and UGC may start the recognition of open and distance learning institutions according to the newly developed system and enforce norms and standards laid by it in the recognised institutions, it suggested.
Contribution of open distance learning to Gross Enrolment Ratio in higher education is about 22 per cent at present.
The committee was set up under the chairmanship of N R Madhava Menon against the backdrop of the distance education council coming under the purview of UGC from IGNOU through an execute order of the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray