Petition against DU`s School of Open Learning
A petition has been filed in the Delhi High Court highlighting the problems faced by students admitted to Delhi University`s School of Open Learning.
New Delhi: A petition has been filed in the Delhi High Court highlighting the problems faced by students admitted to Delhi University`s School of Open Learning (SOL).
The petition filed by an organisation `Fight for Human Rights` against the Centre, DU and the SOL said the practice and procedure followed by SOL in conducting annual examinations, rechecking and revaluation of answer sheets and treatment of students is "very arbitrary and discriminatory".
A bench of Acting Chief Justice BD Ahmed and Justice Vibhu Bhakru has issued notices to SOL, the varsity and the Centre.
The petition says every year lakhs of students, who are unable to study in undergraduate courses in regular colleges, take admission with SOL but they are treated "indifferently".
"The authorities concerned conduct the annual examination for the students of School of Open Learning (SOL) in May/June every year and declare results very late in November/December."
As a result, the candidates, who fail to clear any paper in their final year, are deprived of the chance to pursue higher studies because the result of supplementary examination conducted for failed students is announced very late when admission of all courses are closed by all universities," it said.
It also said the varsity and SOL charge heavy amount for revaluation and rechecking of answer sheets and also submitted that examiners do not examine the answer sheets properly and invigilators openly demand money from every examinee for allowing them to indulge in copying in the examination.
"It has been a general practice in Delhi University that regular candidates are awarded good marks but whereas students of School of Open Learning are not awarded proper marks though their answers are satisfactory," it said, adding it is the general experience of the students of SOL that the treatment meted out to them by the staff and the institution in general is most "objectionable, rude, indifferent and discriminatory".
"The students are treated as second class citizens, which discourage the students to take admission for studies with SOL and this results in defeat of the very purpose of imparting education to maximum number of citizens," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes