President’s nod to first national aviation university
President Pranab Mukherjee has given his assent for setting up of the first-ever national aviation university named after Rajiv Gandhi to train pilots, cabin crew and aircraft engineers.
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee has given his assent for setting up of the first-ever national aviation university named after Rajiv Gandhi to train pilots, cabin crew and aircraft engineers.
The university would come up at Sonia Gandhi`s constituency of Rae Bareli in Uttar Pradesh.
"The Rajiv Gandhi National Aviation University Bill, 2013 has received the assent of the President of India. It has now been published in the Gazette of India," an official statement said.
Earlier this month, Parliament had given its nod to the bill for setting up of the university.
The bill was passed by Rajya Sabha without discussion while Lok Sabha cleared it after a short debate.
It provides for creation of the central university on a 26 acre plot at the Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Udaan Academy at Fursatganj.
The university, an autonomous body under administrative control of the Civil Aviation Ministry, would have a funding of Rs 202 crore during the 12th Plan period, of which Rs 80 crore has already been sanctioned by the Centre.
The need for the university was felt due to the "marked absence of credible institutions imparting specialised technical and managerial training in air transportation, safety, security and regulatory areas", the bill`s Statement of Objects and Reasons said.
"The opportunity cost of not investing in human resources required for the civil aviation sector in India at this juncture would result in reduced growth, increased cost of operations, compromise on safety and missed opportunities," it said.
The university would promote aviation studies, training and research with focus on emerging areas like aviation management, aviation regulation and policy, aviation history, aviation science and engineering, aviation law, aviation safety and security and aviation medicine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'