Sibal inaugurates IIT Bombay workshop
Union Minister of Human Resource Development Kapil Sibal inaugurated the 10,000 teacher training programme conducted by IIT Bombay.
Mumbai: Union Minister of Human Resource Development Kapil Sibal on Monday inaugurated the 10,000 teacher training programme conducted by IIT Bombay.
The project is under the ?Talk to a Teacher? project of the National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NME-ICT) of the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
Sibal joined through live a video link from New Delhi and interacted with students and professors from colleges in Kanyakumari, Srinagar, Rajkot and Nagpur.
Training for 10,000 engineering college teachers from across the country is being conducted leveraging the broadband network and ICT tools, a release said.
This training programme is conducted through 168 remote centres located all across India. The lectures in this course are delivered from IIT Bombay by Professors of IIT Bombay and IIT Madras.
Through the software A-VIEW, audio-video connectivity is provided between all the centres and IIT Bombay. The course consists of lectures, live interactions and lab sessions.
This method of synchronous education has been developed at IIT Bombay, under the leadership of Prof. D B Phatak. This method of education allows allows participation of a large number of women teachers, who normally are unable to join contact programmes at distant locations, owing to family commitments.
The minister interacted with the remote centres from Kanyakumari, Rajkot, Srinagar and Nagpur. A representative of IIT Bombay symbolically presented an Aakash tablet to him.
Sibal suggested that the IIT Bombay Director Prof. Devang Khakhar present Aakash devices to the heads of a few institutions which host the remote centres of the 10,000 teacher training programme.
The minister said he was happy that the Aakash project has picked up speed and is ready for release. Unlike other tablet devices, Aakash can also be used to create computer programs, in Python, C, C++ and Scilab, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet