Software Developer examination can help IT grads skill-up for the industry. Prachi Rege speaks to MeritTrac—a testing and assessment company which is offering the certification in India.
A Software Developer examination can help IT grads skill-up for the industry. Prachi Rege speaks to MeritTrac—a testing and assessment company which is offering the certification in India.
Survey reports suggest that the Indian IT industry employs nearly three million professionals. 1,80,000 new positions were added this year alone. Technology companies have been consistently challenged by the quality of software developers — particularly at the entry level. Candidates too want to aide themselves with credible certifications. At such a time, a scientifically designed assessment that accurately measures the test-takers` ability to programme realistic problems in a professional software development environment is the need-of-the-hour.
Making sure the new recruits` can do the job is critical to India’s success in providing software products and services to the global market. Keeping this in mind, Dublin-based Proxor Limited—a spinoff of Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) has partnered with MeritTrac to offer the Software Developer Examination (SDE) in India.
“SDE will provide companies and training organisations with accurate and reliable assessment of whether a software developer will succeed in the workplace," says Barrington Hill, chief executive. The exam, developed at CMU and funded by World Bank, is an assessment of a candidate’s ability to build software. While there is no standard training provided to help candidates familiarise with the SDE environment, they will have access to online learning material free of cost. On completion of the assessment, the test taker gets a Proxor-MeritTrac certificate in association with CMU.
"One of the most important aspects of this exam is that it is a high stakes secure exam. To be delivered or deployed by a reliable business entity which has no conflicting businesses," says Rajeev Menon, head innovation and product management, MeritTrac. Since the exam has been developed with inputs from a number of major global software companies and CMU, the results are accepted internationally.
"MeritTrac will deliver these tests in its network of Secure Test Centres located across the country. In case a corporate or an academic institution wants to test its candidates, the tests can be administered at testing labs within the corporate/ institution," informs Menon. The list of secure test centres will be available for a candidate applying for Proxor in the registration portal.
How to apply for SDE:
1) A corporate, institution or candidate who wants to take up the certification has to purchase a SDE voucher (s) from MeritTrac and schedule test in one of the certified secure test centres.
2) Aspirants of the software developement sector in the IT industry and any practitioner who wants to benchmark his/ her programming ability with global standards can take the exam.
3) Duration of the exam is 4 to 6 hours. It is a long intensive exam in a real programming environment and has up to 720 test cases covering 4 tasks which is then graded by an automated algorithm to arrive at the programming ability of the individual.
1) Aspiring software developers can take this exam to understand their level of ability to code
2) Educational/ commercial training institutions can take this as an input into specific interventions to make their wards programme to world standards
3) Corporates can get employees assessed on this tool both as a skill inventory determinant as well as for pre training need identification and post training certification
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'