State university to come up at Maharaja Bir Bikram College
A state university would be set up at the Maharaja Bir Bikram (MBB) College here to widen the scope for higher education, official sources said on Tuesday.
Agartala: A state university would be set up at the Maharaja Bir Bikram (MBB) College here to widen the scope for higher education, official sources said on Tuesday.
State Higher Education Minister Bhanu Lal Saha said the academic session of the university would start from 2015 and state`s oldest college, the MBB College, was chosen for the site of the university due to its sprawling campus.
A committee headed by the education secretary is looking after the aspects of setting up of the university, Saha said, adding the government would introduce a Bill in the Assembly on the move.
The state would soon put forward a proposal to the University Grants Commission (UGC) for obtaining permission for the university, he said.
The state government would prepare a detailed project report and send it to the Centre for sanction of funds. An estimated Rs 15 crore would be needed annually for the proposed university, sources said.
There is a central university here, the Tripura Central University, but the state government has decided to set up the state university to widen the scope for higher education and keep control over the university, they said.
The government has also decided to open a English medium Science College in the premises of the old central jail here as a new central jail was constructed at Bishalgarh, about 16 km from here, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test