KJ Somaiya’s Abhiyantriki tech fest is a platform to showcase innovations of young imaginative minds, says Gauri Rane.
K J Somaiya’s Abhiyantriki tech fest is a platform to showcase innovations of young imaginative minds, says Gauri Rane.
Abhiyantriki, a sanskrit word for engineering, formed the basis of an annual technical festival organised by KJ Somaiya College of Engineering (KJSCE). The college, located within the Somaiya campus has over 3,000 students studying various streams of engineering. For these students, the fest provided an opportunity to apply all the theories they have learnt in the classroom. “It is a common belief that engineering students do not get to apply practically what they study in classrooms, but fests like these help us to use our minds in an innovative way,” said Avisha Ghorpade, event head for Day Out in Galaxy.
The students came up with fun games that combined engineering and entertainment. Timeportal, for instance, is a game where participants have to race against time and solve puzzles based on various formulae, explained Ankita S, event coordinator. “A team of two will be given a solar calculator to solve the puzzle, as five bulbs will glow around the room for 15 seconds. These will be switched on in any sequence. Once the puzzle is solved the participants will move to another round which is equally exciting,” she informed.
The students made sure that the festival had its fair share of amusement. Game of Life— a board game of snakes-n-ladders that turned in to reality. “We`ve replaced the dice used in snakes-n-ladders with a pool game. Points scored at the pool table, move you up the ladder (which is represented by a rocket).
Instead of a snake, which would swallow you, we`ve created black holes, explained Charmi Pasad, event head and coordinator for the event. Another such event was the Engineers Premier League, which was soccer kind of a game to be played between teams of two handmade robots. “One will be a wired robot and the other will be wireless one, the players can maneuver the ball and score a goal,” informed Rohit Shetty, second year electronics engineering student.
The festival proved to be a platform for scores of engineers and budding scientists in and around Mumbai to showcase their innovations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark