UK University, TISS make research study on Super 30
A joint project by University of East London and TISS on Super 30, an institute that helps underprivileged children crack IIT exam, has found how education could be used for social transition.
Patna: A joint project by University of East London and TISS on Super 30, an institute that helps underprivileged children crack IIT exam, has found how education could be used for social transition.
Super 30 run by noted mathematician Anand Kumar has the distinction of preparing children from poor section of society by offering free education, lodging and food to help them compete in IITs.
Starting in 2002, this year 28 out of 30 students qualified for IITs from the Patna-based centre which has attracted praise from within the country and abroad.
The study, a joint collaboration of University of East London and Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai is funded by British Council`s UK India Education and Research Initiative (UKIERI).
The researchers, who spent time with the students found how they overcame deprivation in a conducive atmosphere provided by the institution to add wings to their dreams.
"It has been a good case study, as it has been able to drive home the point how education could be used for social transition," excerpt of the research work said.
As part of the study, the researchers interviewed 50 students, including those who have passed out and are in good jobs both in India and abroad to find out how life has changed for them.
The project is aimed at mapping social innovation in overcoming multiple deprivation in selected locations in India and UK. The research was carried out in three case studies in India and UK, Meera Tiwari, Associate Professor in International Development and Head of Global studies school of law and social sciences, University of East London said.
In India, besides two case studies in Mumbai, it chose to study innovations and strategies of Super 30, she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi