Vessel cleaning boy from Karnataka shines in IIT exam
He helped her mother, a daily wage earner and washed vessels in a hotel in his spare time while he was studying, but financial hardship did not stop Manjunath from clearing the tough Joint Admission Test for MSc (JAM).
Bangalore: He helped her mother, a daily wage earner and washed vessels in a hotel in his spare time while he was studying, but financial hardship did not stop Manjunath from clearing the tough Joint Admission Test for MSc (JAM).
Manjunath of Sullia taluk near Mangalore will now pursue his six-year joint MSc-PhD at IIT Bhubaneswar after clearing JAM. "I am leaving to Bhubaneswar on July 13 from Mangalore and join the premier institution on July 22," he told a news agency here.
His mother could not meet the expenses of his education as she had to educate her daughters Nethravati and Rajeshwari, who completed PUC and BSc Nursing respectively.
"Life became a hardship for us after my father left my mother and married another woman. She started to work as a coolie to support us. Most part of her earnings were spent for educating my sisters and hence decided to earn for myself and the family. I used to wash vessels in a hotel when I was studying at Yenekallu Government School," Manjunath said.
Manjunath said he had a burning ambition to be an IAS officer and preparation for it came in handy to pass JAM.
"After passing JAM I have an inclination towards it for now. I do not know I may take IAS exam in future. However, stories of political interference and corruption surrounding IAS officers puts me off. I would rather prefer a job where I can perform my duties freely, without any interference," he said.
To meet his requirements to pursue higher studies, he worked for caterers on weekends and holidays earning around Rs 300 per assignment.
Manjunath is getting financial help from philanthropists to pursue his dream at IIT Bhubaneswar. He said he needed Rs 43,000 to complete his admission at IIT Bhubneswar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe