Visually impaired DU students to get laptops with NVDA software
The Delhi University on Wednesday informed the High Court that all the visually impaired students will be given laptops fitted with Non Visual Desktop Access (NVDA) software.
New Delhi: The Delhi University on Wednesday informed the High Court that all the visually impaired students will be given laptops fitted with Non Visual Desktop Access (NVDA) software.
The university told the court that this was being done so that the students do not suffer in the four-year undergraduate programme, being implemented from July 24.
Appearing before the bench of Acting Chief Justice B D Ahmed and Justice Vibhu Bakhru, the University counsel Pinky Anand submitted that its "empowered committee" has considered the suggestions of the petitioner for the visually handicapped students.
The committee in its report has said,"University has taken some affirmative measures like exemption from all kinds of fees, including hostel fees. 50 per cent rebate in mess charges for students of the university, providing laptop fitted with softwares to all students with disabilities and making metro rail free for students."
The bench recorded the lawyer`s submission that besides involving the visually impaired teachers from different colleges for a special orientation programme for visually disabled students, the university will provide the laptops uploaded with a software that will help them in learning mathematics, science and Life.
The bench referred to the empowered committee`s report and said, "DU shall ensure that special care is given in the teaching method so that visually impaired students should not suffer in learning."
The DU counsel also told the court that timely action will be taken so that visually impaired students don`t left behind.
Earlier, the bench had directed the University committee to consider the petitioner`s grievances within a month and sought a report from Vice Chancellor on the issue.
Petitioner counsel Pankaj Sinha, however, argued that these laptops will not be very much helpful for the visually challenged students so far as maths and science subjects are concerned as they are screen touching.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!