Visually impaired DU students to get laptops with NVDA software
The Delhi University on Wednesday informed the High Court that all the visually impaired students will be given laptops fitted with Non Visual Desktop Access (NVDA) software.
New Delhi: The Delhi University on Wednesday informed the High Court that all the visually impaired students will be given laptops fitted with Non Visual Desktop Access (NVDA) software.
The university told the court that this was being done so that the students do not suffer in the four-year undergraduate programme, being implemented from July 24.
Appearing before the bench of Acting Chief Justice B D Ahmed and Justice Vibhu Bakhru, the University counsel Pinky Anand submitted that its "empowered committee" has considered the suggestions of the petitioner for the visually handicapped students.
The committee in its report has said,"University has taken some affirmative measures like exemption from all kinds of fees, including hostel fees. 50 per cent rebate in mess charges for students of the university, providing laptop fitted with softwares to all students with disabilities and making metro rail free for students."
The bench recorded the lawyer`s submission that besides involving the visually impaired teachers from different colleges for a special orientation programme for visually disabled students, the university will provide the laptops uploaded with a software that will help them in learning mathematics, science and Life.
The bench referred to the empowered committee`s report and said, "DU shall ensure that special care is given in the teaching method so that visually impaired students should not suffer in learning."
The DU counsel also told the court that timely action will be taken so that visually impaired students don`t left behind.
Earlier, the bench had directed the University committee to consider the petitioner`s grievances within a month and sought a report from Vice Chancellor on the issue.
Petitioner counsel Pankaj Sinha, however, argued that these laptops will not be very much helpful for the visually challenged students so far as maths and science subjects are concerned as they are screen touching.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'