Women shine in Civil Services Examination 2012
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) on Friday declared the result of Civil Services Examination, and it was topped yet again by a woman.
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) on Friday declared the result of Civil Services Examination, and it was topped yet again by a woman. This year, Haritha V Kumar made it to the top slot of the coveted exam. She is a probationer of Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Central Excise) 2011 batch.
The Civil Services Examination has been topped by women in the Scheduled Tribe and Scheduled Caste categories as well.
Kumar holds a Bachelor of Technology (Electronics and Communication) degree from Kerala University and is currently undergoing training at National Academy of Customs Excise and Narcotics (NACEN), This was her fourth attempt.
V Sriram and Stuti Charan have bagged second and third positions respectively in the examination.
Sriram, who has earned Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) from Kerala University, has achieved the distinction in his second attempt.
Charan has done Bachelor of Science from Jodhpur University and Post Graduate Diploma in Personnel and Marketing Management from the Indian Institute of Planning and Management (IIPM), Delhi. It was her third attempt.
Shena Aggarwal, an MBBS from the premier All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), had bagged the top slot in the civil services examination 2011. While Chennai-based law graduate S Divyadharshini topped the list in the 2010 exams.
As many as 998 candidates -- 753 male and 245 female -- have been selected for appointments to various central services like the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS) and Indian Police Service (IPS) among others, according to a release by the Department of Personnel and Training.
Of these 998 successful candidates, 457 are in General (including 23 physically challenged) category, 295 Other Backward Classes (including nine Physically challenged), 169 Scheduled Castes (including two physically challenged) and 77 Scheduled Tribes.
There were 1,091 advertised vacancies -- 550 General, 295 Other Backward Classes, 169 Scheduled Castes and 77 Scheduled Tribes-- for Civil Service Examination 2012.
The result also showcases the pan-India distribution of successful candidates of this examination.
"Among the top 25 candidates, there are candidates claiming domicile from as many as 12 states or Union territories i.e Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chandigarh, Delhi, Haryana, Jammu & Kashmir, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh," it said.
The family background of top 25 candidates shows diverse representation from all walks of life with their parents being farmer, teacher, businessman, government servant, doctor, advocate, professor and civil servant.
Among the top 25 candidates, six have made it to the merit list in their first attempt; nine in second attempt; eight in third; and one each in their 4th & 6th attempts.
As many as four have already been recommended to services other than IAS on the basis of Civil Services Examinations of previous years, it said.
Of the top 25 candidates, 12 appeared from Delhi; four from Thiruvanathapuram, two each from Chennai and Hyderabad; and one each from Jammu, Mumbai, Jaipur, Chandigarh and Allahabad centres.
The Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination, 2012 was conducted on May 20, 2012. A record number of 5,36,506 candidates applied for this examination, out of which 2,71,422 candidates have actually appeared.
A total of 13,092 of these candidates were declared qualified for the main written examination held in October, 2012 out of which 2,674 candidates were selected for the personality test conducted in March-April, 2013.
UPSC, which conducts the examination, has opened a `Facilitation Counter` near the Examination Hall Building in its campus.
Candidates can obtain any information or clarification regarding their examinations on the working days between 10 am -5 pm in person or over telephone nos 011- 23385271, 23381125, 23098543.
Results will also be available on the UPSC`s Website (http//www.Upsc.Gov.In.). "However, marks are likely to be available on the website within 15 days from the date of declaration of results", the release said.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?