Torres staying at Liverpool, says Dalglish
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Monday, January 31, 2011, 21:40
  
London: Liverpool are determined to hold on to want-away striker Fernando Torres according to manager Kenny Dalglish.

Newspaper reports over the weekend said that the Reds were willing to accept what would be a British record transfer fee of a 50 million pounds for the Spaniard, but Dalglish insisted that there had been no change in the Anfield boardroom's position.

Liverpool rejected a transfer request from Torres on Friday night, reminding the player of his commitment to a long-term contract, having turned down a 35 million pounds bid from Chelsea the previous day.

And despite a 22.9 million pounds deal for Ajax forward Luis Suarez being agreed on Friday, with the Uruguay international expected to complete the paperwork formalities on the transfer later Monday, Dalglish insisted that did not mean Torres was on his way out.

"We've not brought anyone in as a replacement for anyone else," said the Scot.

The club have not given up hope of persuading Torres to stay, although Dalglish reiterated his belief that his concern was players who were committed to the club.

"Movement is part and parcel of football but the most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the ones who want to be here," he added.

Torres, who trained yesterday after the squad were given a couple of days off, was at the club's Melwood training ground on Monday morning.

Bureau Report


First Published: Monday, January 31, 2011, 21:40


comments powered by Disqus