Xabi Alonso departure would be serious loss for Liverpool: Fernando Torres
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 18:10
  
Liverpool: Spanish striker Fernando Torres has warned that Xabi Alonso's proposed move to Real Madrid would be a "serious loss to Liverpool".

The Liverpool hitman admitted he has been kept in the dark so far and told The Liverpool Echo, "It would be a bad piece of work if Xabi left. He plays his cards close to his chest so I don’t know what is going to happen."

Alonso has been strongly linked to join the Real revolution this summer and become the newest galactico at the Bernabeu, after the mega money signings of Kaka from AC Milan and Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United.

Whilst Alonso himself is yet to speak out on the subject, his team-mates, old and new, have been voicing their opinions.

Real Madrid goalkeeper, and former Anfield colleague of Alonso's, Jerzy Dudek believed the move would be a "dream come true" for Alonso to move to Madrid.

"He is Spanish and all the Spanish guys want to play for Real Madrid. This is a dream come true for them and Xabi knows that he’s not the only one," the Pole explained.

However current team-mate Torres made it clear that Alonso would make the final decision on any move.

"I’d put Xabi’s own wishes ahead of everything else, of course, but he’s got three years left on his contract with us and I’d love it if he stays," he said.

"It would be a serious loss for Liverpool if he left this summer."

Goal.com


First Published: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 18:10


comments powered by Disqus