Brussels: Belgium's Kim Clijsters has confirmed that she will take part in the French Open which gets underway at Roland Garros on Sunday, despite being out of action for six weeks.
"I am very happy to be able to take part (in the French Open)," she said on her official website.
The 27-year-old former world number one has not played since her quarter-final loss in Miami to Victoria Azarenka on March 31, when she complained of wrist and shoulder pain.
She then picked up a serious ankle injury at her cousin's wedding in April.
Clijsters resumed training at the start of May with the intention of playing in the French Open for the first time since 2006, but has been unable to play in any tournament.
"It feels great to be back playing again - I really missed it," she said.
"We will leave for Paris on Wednesday because I want to get in some useful practice on the clay courts.
"Everything is going well. I am hitting the ball well. I still feel a litle bit of pain in the ankle, but I have a tight bandage on it and that helps me."
The Belgium has won the last two Grand Slam tournaments - last year's US Open and the Australian Open in January and she will be seeded second in Paris. She has never won the French Open having lost twice in the final.
First Published: Tuesday, May 17, 2011, 23:10