14 candidates with `nil assets` in Tamil Nadu poll fray
Chennai: At a time when many Lok Sabha candidates are coming out with eye-popping details of their assets worth crores, 14 candidates in the poll fray in Tamil Nadu, mostly independents, have declared `zero assets`.
They are among 845 candidates of well established political entities, among whom are 14 contestants with high liabilities of more than Rs five crore, as per a analysis by Association for Democratic Reforms-Tamil Nadu Election Watch.
While 12 independents, including S Rajeshwari (Chennai south), Balan P P (Nilgiris) and Pargunan A (Kancheepuram) have nil assets, candidates of little known CPI(ML) Red Star (Ponnusamy P) and Akhil Bharat Hindu Mahasabha (Ezhumalai V) have also declared zero assets in Nilgiris and Chidambaram.
Of the 14 candidates with high liabilities of more than Rs five crore, H Vasantha Kumar (Congress) in Kanyakumari figures first with a debt of Rs 87 crore. Ironically, he is also the candidate with highest assets of Rs 285 crore.
Similarly, A C Shanmugam of Puthiya Neethi Katchi who owns property worth Rs.106 crore and is contesting on BJP`s lotus symbol in Vellore, has a liability of Rs 34 crore.
Also, there are nine candidates with high income of Rs one crore, according to Income Tax return details provided by the candidates, the association said.
While Vasantha Kumar has shown total income (Self, spouse and dependent) of Rs 16 crore, Thambidurai M (AIADMK) has shown an income of Rs 10 crore and Karti P Chidambaram has shown an income of Rs one crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends