`1.86 lakh persons under preventive arrest ahead of Gujarat polls`
Ahmedabad: The State Election Commission has made 1,86,460 preventive arrests so far under CrPC to instill a sense of safety among voters and organise free and fair polls in Gujarat.
The Election Commission made these arrests with the help of local police, a statement issued by the office of the State Chief Electoral Officer said today.
The statement also said that among the "potentially dangerous" persons, most (19,164) were from Ahmedabad district.
Election for all 26 seats in Gujarat is scheduled to be held on April 30.
After the election was declared, citizens have deposited a total of 48,736 licenced weapons at local police stations till date.
"To keep a tab on notorious and dreaded criminals, who are yet to be nabbed, 52,649 persons have been served non-bailable warrants by state police. Among these, Ahmedabad district tops the chart with 6,558 persons while Dang district remained lowest with just 44," the release said.
According to figures released by state CEO, 11,53,780 bottles of Indian Made foreign Liquor(IMFL) have been seized, apart from 2,07,761 litres of country-made liquor, by authorities from various parts of the state so far.
The release said that newly-formed Aravalli district tops the chart in IMFL seizure with 2,80,379 bottles while Amreli was lowest with 205. In country made liquor, Surat was on top with 42,856 litres, while Dang remained `sober` with just 251 liters of country made liquor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH