2014 Lok Sabha polls may witness highest ever turnout of voters
New Delhi: Voters have come out in "highest- ever" numbers to cast their votes in six phases in the 349 Lok Sabha constituencies in 24 states and union territories where elections were completed, the Election Commission said on Thursday.
"By this time, the national aggregate of turnout for all the elections held so far is 66 per cent as against 57.53 per cent for the same constituencies in 2009 Lok Sabha elections," Election Commission Director General Akshay Rout said.
"Of course, it is the highest ever", he told reporters reacting to a query. His statement indicates the 2014 Lok Sabha elections may witness the highest voter turn out if the trend continues.
He said a total of 35 crore voters have cast their votes in the 349 constituencies in this year`s elections.
In 2009 Lok Sabha polls for these constituencies, the total votes which were cast were 21.49 crores.
Rout said the figures might change as repolls have been ordered in certain polling stations and postal ballots are not included and the figures will slightly increase.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender