2014 polls is not a fight between two families, two cousins: Maneka Gandhi

Days after Priyanka Gandhi made personal attacks on her son and BJP leader Varun Gandhi, Maneka Gandhi on Wednesday retorted by saying that it looks like a nervous reaction from the Congress party, which is all set to lose badly in this election.

Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava

New Delhi: Days after Priyanka Gandhi made personal attacks on her son and BJP leader Varun Gandhi, Maneka Gandhi on Wednesday retorted by saying that it looks like a nervous reaction from the Congress party, which is all set to lose badly in this election.

Asking Priyanka Gandhi to focus on the ongoing elections, Maneka Gandhi said, “Priyanka`s attack looks like a nervous reaction as Varun is contesting.”

Reacting to Priyanka`s comment that Varun Gandhi has strayed from his path, Maneka said, “The country will decide who`s done what.”

“It`s not a fight between two families, nor between two cousins,” the BJP leader added further.

Maneka also slammed Priyanka Gandhi and Congress for targeting Modi and making accusations that he had sidelined all his seniors colleagues in the party.

“I don`t know what ideology is being mentioned by the Congress. The results of the 2014 polls will make everything clear,” she said.
Maneka`s reactions came two days after Priyanka said that Varun Gandhi has strayed from his path and urged the voters to show him the right path.

"He (Varun Gandhi) is definitely from my family, he is my brother. But he has gone astray. When a young one in the family chooses the wrong path, then the elders show them the right path, the right way. I urge all of you to show my brother the right path," Priyanka had said.

The attack on Varun was made by Priyanka as she addressed party workers during her visit to Sultanpur on Saturday when she accompanied Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi as he filed his nomination papers from Amethi.

Significantly, Varun is contesting Lok Sabha polls from the Sultanpur constituency on a BJP ticket.
The comment by Priyanka was made after the 34-year-old BJP candidate had praised the development work done by Rahul in Amethi.

Soon after the remark was made, his mother Maneka Gandhi said that whatever he had said was wrong and there was no development work in the constituency.

Varun Gandhi then backtracked and said that his statement should not be considered as an endorsement of any political party or candidate.

Zee News App: Read latest news of India and world, bollywood news, business updates, cricket scores, etc. Download the Zee news app now to keep up with daily breaking news and live news event coverage.