267 candidates in fray for 17 LS seats in Telangana
Hyderabad: As many as 267 candidates remained in fray for the 17 Lok Sabha seats in Telangana and 1,682 nominees for 119 Assembly seats, a top Election Commission official said on Saturday.
Of the 306 nominations for Lok Sabha elections found valid after scrutiny, 39 were withdrawn on the last date today.
"The highest number of 30 candidates each remained in fray in Malkajgiri and Secunderabad Lok Sabha constituencies while Nagarkurnool (SC) has the lowest number of six candidates," state Chief Electoral Officer Bhanwar Lal said in a release.
In Medak, where TRS chief K Chandrasekhar Rao is a candidate, 12 others are also in fray. In Mahbubnagar, 10 candidates, including Union minister S Jaipal Reddy, remained in the contest.
Meanwhile, as many as 1,682 candidates remained in fray for the 119 Assembly seats in Telangana.
Elections to 17 Lok Sabha and 119 Assembly seats in Telangana are scheduled for 30 April, while 175 Assembly and 25 Lok Sabha constituencies in Seemandhra will exercise their mandate on 7 May.
Hyderabad urban district, that has 15 Assembly segments, has 298 candidates in the fray, followed by 284 in neighbouring Ranga Reddy district.
Karimnagar district, which has 13 Assembly segments, has the lowest 101 candidates.
Amberpet Assembly constituency in Hyderabad city has the highest number of 32 candidates in the fray. Here, Congress MP V Hanumantha Rao is pitted against Telangana BJP president G Kishan Reddy, who is the sitting MLA.
Secunderabad Assembly segment has the second highest number of 31 candidates, including sitting legislator and cine heroine Jayasudha Kapoor, the release said.
Andhole (SC) Assembly constituency, from where former deputy CM Damodara Rajanarasimha is seeking re-election for the third consecutive term, a total of only five candidates is in fray, including former minister M Babu Mohan of the TRS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees