28% voter turnout in J&K`s Anantnag; 24 injured in violence
Srinagar: At least 24 security personnel were injured in clashes during polling for Anantnag Lok Sabha seat in Kashmir on Thursday which recorded a voter turnout of 28 per cent.
"The tentative voter turnout for Anantnag Parliamentary constituency is 28 per cent which is slightly up from 27 per cent recorded in 2009 polls," Umang Narula, Chief Electoral Officer of Jammu and Kashmir, told reporters here.
He said the voter turnout figures might increase as last reports from some of the polling stations were yet to be received.
Narula said Anantnag district recorded the highest 37.76 per cent followed by Kulgam at 36.68 per cent, Shopian 20.43 per cent while Pulwama recorded just 6.32 per cent.
Migrant voters of the constituency turned out in higher numbers than the average with around 40 per cent of them cast their votes at polling stations set up in Jammu, Udhampur and Delhi, he said.
Narula said political killings ahead of the elections in Tral and Awantipora areas of the constituency could have resulted in lower voter turnout in Pulwama district.
"Over all the poll percentage and the number of voters who have exercised their franchise has increased," he said.
Anantnag Lok Sabha constituency, comprising 16 assembly segments, had 13.01 lakh voters including 6.15 lakh female voters.
The election authorities had set up 1,615 polling stations at 1,128 locations in the constituency, he said, adding barring few incidents of stone pelting, polling was largely peaceful.
Inspector General of Police, Kashmir, A G Mir said that 12 police personnel and an equal number of CRPF personnel were injured in stone pelting incidents at several places in the constituency.
He said some arrests have been made in connection with these incidents.
Although 12 candidates were in the fray from this seat, it was expected to be a direct contest fight between ruling National Conference candidate Mehboob Beg and opposition PDP President Mehbooba Mufti.
Of the 16 Assembly segments, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) MLAs represent 12, the Congress two and the National Conference (NC) and the CPI-M one each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams