30,000 security men deployed for LS polls in Baramulla
Baramulla: More than 30,000 security men have been deployed to ensure free and peaceful voting Wednesday in 1,616 polling stations in Baramulla Lok Sabha constituency of Jammu and Kashmir.
Police and intelligence agencies have termed the May 7 voting for this Lok Sabha seat as their most serious challenge, given security logistics in the 15 assembly segments in Baramulla, Kupwara and Bandipora districts.
Of the total polling stations, 1,091 have been declared hyper-sensitive and 455 sensitive. Only 70 have been declared normal by the Election Commission.
Director General of Police Ashok Prasad said the security forces face three serious challenges - separatist boycott calls, threats from militants and the possibility of stone pelting by anti-national elements to dissuade voters from exercising their democratic right.
Election officials have started reaching the polling stations escorted by paramilitary forces and police.
A low intensity explosion, which police said was caused by a petrol bomb, occurred Tuesday morning in a middle school building in Watergam in Baramulla district.
Although no damage was caused to the school building, the fact that it occurred at a place where a polling station is being set up for Wednesday`s voting became a cause for concern.
Around 11.89 lakh voters would be deciding the fate of 15 candidates Wednesday.
The main contest is between National Conference candidate Sharief-ud-Din Shariq, who is seeking re-election, and Muzaffar Hussain Baig of the Peoples Democratic Party.
Voting starts at 7 am and will end at 5 pm.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata