42,000 voters opted for NOTA in two Jharkhand constituencies
Jamshedpur: Over 42,000 voters in Jamshedpur and Singhbhum (Reserved) parliamentary seats had opted for `None of the Above Option` (NOTA) in the Lok Sabha poll held on April 17.
NOTA ranked fourth in Jamshedpur constituency and fifth in Singhbhum Lok Saba segment.
Of the total 15,508 voters who pressed the NOTA button in Jamshedpur constituency, the contribution of the rural assembly segments Baharagora, Ghatsila, Potka and Jugsalai was around 83 percent, according to the final results of the Jamshedpur constituency.
Rural voters in Baharagora assembly segment, which was represented by JMM`s Bidyut Baran Mahato before he crossed over to BJP to contest the Parliamentary poll from Jamshedpur constituency and won, opted for NOTA in good number while Potka assembly segment, currently represented by Menka Sardar of BJP, recorded highest 3329 votes in favor of NOTA.
As per the six assembly segments under Jamshedpur Parliamentary seat, Baharagora and Ghatsila polled 3219 votes each in favor of NOTA, 3329 votes in Potka assembly, 3089 votes in Jugsalai assembly constituency, 1449 votes in Jamshedpur (East) and 1318 votes in Jamshedpur (West).
Introduced for the first time by the Election Commission, NOTA had a place in the EVM machine at the end after the list of 15 candidates representing various polical parties including Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Prajatantrik), Bahujan Samaj Party, Jharkhand Mukti Morcha and BJP as well as Independent.
Following the counting of votes, NOTA finished fourth after BJP, JVM and JMM.
Similarly, NOTA, which secured total 27,037 votes in Singhbhum Lok Sabha constituency in the just-concluded Lok Sabha poll, finished fifth following the counting of votes.
BJP`s Laxman Gilua, who won the seat with a margin over 85,000 votes, polled 303079 votes followed by Gita Koda, Jai Bharat Samanta Party`s candidate MLA and wife of sitting MP-cum-former Jharkhand Chief Minister Madhu Koda, (215603 votes), Congress candidate Chitrasen Sinku (111790 votes) and JVM`s Krishna Gagrai (35,681 votes).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez