80 per cent polling in repoll in 2 Tamil Nadu stations
Salem: An average 80 per cent voting was registered on Saturday during the repolling held in one polling station each in Salem and Namakkal Lok Sabha constituencies.
According to election officials, about 76.8 per cent voters in Salem and 84.6 per cent in Tiruchengode in Namakkal constituency exercised their franchise in the repoll, which was rescheduled to today from May 8 following candidates` demand for 48 hours notice before polling.
The repolling was ordered due to some technical error in Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) during the April 24 polling.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had criticised the Election Commission`s "belated" decision, announced on May 6, terming it as "against the canons of propriety of the election process" as no protest or complaint was registered by any political party or anyone else in respect of both these polling stations.
State Chief Electoral Officer Praveen Kumar had said the repoll was necessitated after a `factory mode` error was detected in the EVMs at the end of poll on April 24 and there was no other reason.
The start of the repolling in Salem booth was delayed by about 20 minutes.
DMK candidate Uma Rani lodged a complaint with observer Ajay Yadav stating that her AIADMK rival V Panneerselvam was allegedly present in the booth sporting a party flag coloured towel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day