80 per cent polling in repoll in 2 Tamil Nadu stations
Salem: An average 80 per cent voting was registered on Saturday during the repolling held in one polling station each in Salem and Namakkal Lok Sabha constituencies.
According to election officials, about 76.8 per cent voters in Salem and 84.6 per cent in Tiruchengode in Namakkal constituency exercised their franchise in the repoll, which was rescheduled to today from May 8 following candidates` demand for 48 hours notice before polling.
The repolling was ordered due to some technical error in Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) during the April 24 polling.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had criticised the Election Commission`s "belated" decision, announced on May 6, terming it as "against the canons of propriety of the election process" as no protest or complaint was registered by any political party or anyone else in respect of both these polling stations.
State Chief Electoral Officer Praveen Kumar had said the repoll was necessitated after a `factory mode` error was detected in the EVMs at the end of poll on April 24 and there was no other reason.
The start of the repolling in Salem booth was delayed by about 20 minutes.
DMK candidate Uma Rani lodged a complaint with observer Ajay Yadav stating that her AIADMK rival V Panneerselvam was allegedly present in the booth sporting a party flag coloured towel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez