80 per cent polling in repoll in 2 Tamil Nadu stations
Salem: An average 80 per cent voting was registered on Saturday during the repolling held in one polling station each in Salem and Namakkal Lok Sabha constituencies.
According to election officials, about 76.8 per cent voters in Salem and 84.6 per cent in Tiruchengode in Namakkal constituency exercised their franchise in the repoll, which was rescheduled to today from May 8 following candidates` demand for 48 hours notice before polling.
The repolling was ordered due to some technical error in Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) during the April 24 polling.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had criticised the Election Commission`s "belated" decision, announced on May 6, terming it as "against the canons of propriety of the election process" as no protest or complaint was registered by any political party or anyone else in respect of both these polling stations.
State Chief Electoral Officer Praveen Kumar had said the repoll was necessitated after a `factory mode` error was detected in the EVMs at the end of poll on April 24 and there was no other reason.
The start of the repolling in Salem booth was delayed by about 20 minutes.
DMK candidate Uma Rani lodged a complaint with observer Ajay Yadav stating that her AIADMK rival V Panneerselvam was allegedly present in the booth sporting a party flag coloured towel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown