AAP accuses BJP of disrupting its campaign; demands EC action
Varanasi: Aam Aadmi Party on Friday accused BJP of disrupting the poll campaign of its top leaders including Arvind Kejriwal and demanded the Election Commission to take action against the party.
"The Aam Aadmi Party strongly condemns the attempts by BJP workers to disrupt the movement of its leaders, including national convenor Arvind Kejriwal, at Varanasi on Thursday night," the party said in a statement.
AAP leaders were gheraoed by a huge group of protesters here last night. Police had to use mild force to disperse the crowd before whisking away Kejriwal.
Even today, protesters gathered at various places visited by Kejriwal and other AAP leaders and shouted slogans.
Meanwhile, BJP has distanced itself from last night`s incident saying that the protesters must be locals who might be opposed to Kejriwal.
AAP, however, continued to insist that the protesters were BJP workers and said that this was not for the first time that the saffron party has tried to create hurdles in Kejriwal`s campaign.
"BJP workers tried to block the movement of Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia and Sanjay Singh at a busy chowk in the town. They not only indulged in illegal activities in full public view, but also made obscene gestures and used abusive language," AAP said.
"Such an attempt by the BJP workers, in a constituency from where this party`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi is contesting elections, is a clear sign of the saffron party deliberately trying to vitiate the election atmosphere.
"The AAP will not be cowed down by such unacceptable behaviour of the BJP, and demands that the Election Commission should ensure that no party should be allowed to create trouble during the elections," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...