AAP seeks Maran`s disqualification over poll spending
Chennai: Aam Aadmi Party on Sunday sought disqualification of DMK candidate from Central Chennai Lok Sabha constituency Dayanidhi Maran for allegedly submitting false accounts and exceeding approved election expenditure limit.
In a petition to Tamil Nadu Chief Electoral Officer Praveen Kumar, AAP candidate in the constituency J Prabhakar alleged that Maran filed election expenditure statement for April four to nine as Rs 44,630. However, for the same period the register of Election Commission showed his expenditure as Rs 61,64,200.
Similarly, Maran declared expenditure for the period April 10 to 15 as Rs 3,83,911. The register of EC during the period, however, showed Rs 20,14,791, he said.
"We understand the Returning Officer has also given a copy of expenditure totalling Rs 81,78,991 to Maran`s representative."
Alleging that it was clear from the records that Maran had submitted false accounts besides incurring election expenditure beyond the permissible limit of Rs 70 lakh, the Prabhakar claimed that the DMK nominee "is eligible for disqualification" under the law.
"We therefore request you to take action to disqualify him as per law immediately", he said.
Pointing out that the EC had in the past disqualified Madhu Koda and Umesh Yadav for suppressing and submitting false expenditure statement, which was upheld by the Supreme Court, the AAP leader said his party expected speedy action.
Praveen Kumar told PTI that the AAP`s complaint had been forwarded to the expenditure observers for appropriate action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm