AAP seeks Maran`s disqualification over poll spending
Chennai: Aam Aadmi Party on Sunday sought disqualification of DMK candidate from Central Chennai Lok Sabha constituency Dayanidhi Maran for allegedly submitting false accounts and exceeding approved election expenditure limit.
In a petition to Tamil Nadu Chief Electoral Officer Praveen Kumar, AAP candidate in the constituency J Prabhakar alleged that Maran filed election expenditure statement for April four to nine as Rs 44,630. However, for the same period the register of Election Commission showed his expenditure as Rs 61,64,200.
Similarly, Maran declared expenditure for the period April 10 to 15 as Rs 3,83,911. The register of EC during the period, however, showed Rs 20,14,791, he said.
"We understand the Returning Officer has also given a copy of expenditure totalling Rs 81,78,991 to Maran`s representative."
Alleging that it was clear from the records that Maran had submitted false accounts besides incurring election expenditure beyond the permissible limit of Rs 70 lakh, the Prabhakar claimed that the DMK nominee "is eligible for disqualification" under the law.
"We therefore request you to take action to disqualify him as per law immediately", he said.
Pointing out that the EC had in the past disqualified Madhu Koda and Umesh Yadav for suppressing and submitting false expenditure statement, which was upheld by the Supreme Court, the AAP leader said his party expected speedy action.
Praveen Kumar told PTI that the AAP`s complaint had been forwarded to the expenditure observers for appropriate action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur