AAP writes to EC demanding security in Varanasi
New Delhi: The AAP has written to the Election Commission demanding deployment of central security forces and senior central observers in Varanasi to ensure party candidate Arvind Kejriwal`s Lok Sabha election campaign is not marred by violence.
The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) has written to the Election Commission following several attacks by goons and BJP activists and also on account of attack on its former Delhi law minister Somnath Bharti in the holy Hindu city Wednesday.
"It appears there is a concerted attempt on the instructions and instigation of sections of the leadership of the BJP to encourage and abet these attacks," says the AAP letter to the EC.
It has also told the poll panel the party fears the attacks would escalate in the days to come, so the request for security.
The AAP leaders have also alleged local police authorities are unable and unwilling to do anything to stop the attacks or identify and apprehend the masterminds behind these attacks.
Kejriwal is contesting from the Varanasi Lok Sabha constituency against BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing