After loss, Sanjay Nirupam questions EVMs, alleges manipulation
Mumbai: Congress candidate from Mumbai North Sanjay Nirupam, who lost by a big margin to his BJP rival in the Lok Sabha election on Saturday questioned the reliability of Electronic Voting Machines.
"The process of EVMs is undemocratic and the Election Commission should order a probe into the functioning of machines that are now being stored in strongrooms," he said here.
He said he has accepted the mandate with humility, but the margin of loss baffled him.
"It`s not natural and it is not possible without manipulating the EVMs," he alleged, adding his frustration came from the confident manner in which BJP`s PM nominee Narendra Modi and his close aid Amit Shah spoke of the party winning 300 seats and Congress not opening the account in several states.
"We understand the people`s anger against the Congress or need for change in the government. (But) Even those who contest elections are not able to predict such numbers with such overconfidence. In Maharashtra, all the Congress candidates lost by a margin of one to two lakh. This cannot happen without manipulation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video