After Narendra Modi`s Amethi rally, Rahul Gandhi to hold roadshow in Varanasi on May 10
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: After BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi held a rally in Amethi on May 05 in support of Smriti Irani, now Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi will be holding a roadshow in Varanasi on May 10, the last day of campaigning for the parliamentary seat, as per reports.
BJP`s prime ministerial candidate is contesting from Varanasi.
Rahul has reportedly been given the green signal by the local administration.
Breaking an unwritten rule between political parties of not campaigning on rival`s turf, Modi held a rally in Rahul Gandhi`s constituency Amethi on May 05 in support of BJP candidate Smriti Irani.
He tore into Sonia and Rahul in Gandhi`s pocket borough and said that the days of mother-son duo were over. He also exhorted the crowd to vote for Irani if they wanted development in the area.
Modi accused the Gandhi family of neglecting Amethi for the past 40 years and promised that if they won the BJP would change the face of the area.
Concluding his speech minutes before the campaign ended in the constituency which will witness polling on May 7, he said he has not come here to "trouble Rahul Gandhi". "He is already a troubled soul," he said.
Describing Smriti as his "younger sister" and his "representative", he said, "time has come to snap the relationship between the family and the constituency. People here have been cheated."
Polling was held today in Amethi where Rahul is locked in a triangular contest with Irani and Aam Aadmi Party`s Kumar Vishwas.
Asked whether voters of his constituency were unhappy with him, Rahul said in Amethi today "no one was angry with him".
"Yaha se mera dil ka rishta hai, pyar ka rishta hai jahan bhi ja raha hun, log mujhko pyar se dekh rahe hain, samarthan de rahe hain" (I have a direct connection with the people here. Wherever I am going, people are looking at me with affection and supporting me), he said, as per PTI.
Rahul held the Amethi seat since 2004. Speaking to reporters at Fursatganj airport on his way back to Delhi from Amethi today, Rahul said Modi`s rally in his pocket borough would not have any impact on the results.
Rahul, who has held Amethi Lok Sabha seat since 2004, said Modi`s May 5 rally did not pose any challenge to him and will not impact the results.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened