Ahead of Gujarat polls, EC makes 1.86 preventive arrests
Ahmedabad: The State Election Commission has made 1,86,460 preventive arrests so far under CrPC to instill a sense of safety among voters and organise free and fair polls in Gujarat.
The Election Commission made these arrests with the help of local police, a statement issued by the office of the State Chief Electoral Officer said.
The statement also said that among the "potentially dangerous" persons, most (19,164) were from Ahmedabad district.
Election for all 26 seats in Gujarat is scheduled to be held on April 30.
After the election was declared, citizens have deposited a total of 48,736 licenced weapons at local police stations till date.
"To keep a tab on notorious and dreaded criminals, who are yet to be nabbed, 52,649 persons have been served non-bailable warrants by state police. Among these, Ahmedabad district tops the chart with 6,558 persons while Dang district remained lowest with just 44," the release said.
According to figures released by state CEO, 11,53,780 bottles of Indian Made foreign Liquor (IMFL) have been seized, apart from 2,07,761 litres of country-made liquor, by authorities from various parts of the state so far.
The release said that newly-formed Aravalli district tops the chart in IMFL seizure with 2,80,379 bottles while Amreli was lowest with 205. In country made liquor, Surat was on top with 42,856 litres, while Dang remained `sober` with just 251 liters of country made liquor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?