All arrangements in place for tomorrow`s voting in HP
Shimla: The stage is set for tomorrow`s elections to four Lok Sabha seats in Himachal Pradesh which will decide the fate of 38 candidates, including former Chief Minister Shanta Kumar and BJP`s Anurag Thakur.
Elaborate security arrangements have been made for tomorrow`s polling and over 10,000 police personnel and 7400 home guards will be deployed across the state to ensure free, fair and peaceful voting.
Polling parties have reached booths along with election material, state Chief Electoral Officer Narinder Chauhan said.
Inter-state borders have been sealed to check entry of anti-social elements, officials said.
The one-month-long no-holds-barred electioneering, which drew to close last evening, witnessed Congress and BJP leaders trading charges and hurling personal allegations.
Nearly 48,10,071 voters (24, 77,430 male and 23, 35,641 female), including 84,461 first-timers, are likey to exercise their franchise.
Tomorrow`s voting will seal the fate of 38 candidates, including all four sitting Lok Sabha members and Shanta Kumar, in Electronic Voting Machines.
The Congress, BJP, Aam Admi Party and BSP have fielded candidates in all the four seats while the CPI-M is contesting only two seats.
Twelve candidates are in the fray in Kangra Lok Sabha constituency, 10 in Hamirpur, nine in Mandi and seven in Shimla (Reserve) constituencies.
Voting for Sujanpur assembly bypoll will also be held tomorrow.
BJP stalwart Shanta Kumar is pitted against Chander Kumar(Cong) and AAP`s Rajan Sushant, a sitting MP, among others in Kangra seat.
Incumbent Congress MP Pratibha Singh, wife of Virbhadra Singh, is facing BJP greenhorn Ram Swaroop Sharma and AAP Jai Chand Thakur in a nine-cornered contest in Mandi.
Sitting BJP MP Anurag Thakur, son of Dhumal, is facing Rajinder Singh Rana of the Congress in Hamirpur where Kamal Kanta Batra, mother of Kargil martyr Vikram Batra, is also in the fray as AAP candidate.
In Shimla (Reserve) constituency, sitting BJP MP Virender Kashyap is pitted against Mohan Lal Brakta of the Congress and Subhash Chander (AAP) among others.
Only four women candidates, including Pratibha Singh (Cong) and Kamal Kant?Batra (AAP), are in the fray.
Anita Kumari Rana (Cong), Narender Thakur (BJP), Parveen Kumar (BSP) and Subhash Chand (Independent) are contesting the Sujanpur assembly bypoll.
The Chief Electoral Officer said six complaints of paid news had been received.
The counting of votes will take place on May 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi