Amarinder raises eviction of Punjab farmer from Gujarat
Amritsar: Congress leader Amarinder Singh today said despite a promise by Narendra Modi, the Gujarat government has not withdrawn the petition against the Punjabi farmers from the Supreme Court.
Singh asked his rival on Amritsar seat-- BJP leader Arun Jaitley-- despite the commitment made by Modi at a rally in Jagraon in Punjab on February 23, nothing has been done by the Gujarat government till now, Singh told reporters.
"We want Jaitley to clear the air on such an important issue that touches every Punjabi including him (Jaitley) since he also claims to be one," he said, while adding, Jaitley owed an answer primarily for three reasons.
"One, he is an MP from Gujarat. Two he has been claiming to have roots in Punjab and three he is now contesting from the most important city of Punjab that is representative of its history and culture," he said.
Modi had said,"It is a deliberate misinformation being spread by vested interested. No Sikh farmer will be evicted from Gujarat. If any officer tries to do that, that officer will no longer be around."
"I am not asking much from Jaitley," he said, while adding, "It is a simple question as to why Gujarat government is not prepared to withdraw its appeal in the Supreme Court against the Gujarat High Court verdict that is in favour of Punjabi farmers?"
Farmers from Punjab and Rajasthan were settled in Kutch district after 1965 war. About three years ago, the Kutch Collector invoked the Bombay Tenancy and Agricultural Lands Act of 1948 and froze the accounts of several non-Gujarati farmers. The farmers approached the Gujarat High Court, which ruled against the Collector`s action.
The state government decided to challenge the ruling in the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy