Amarinder the lone MLA to win at LS polls from Punjab
Chandigarh: Of the seven MLAs who tried their luck at the parliamentary hustings from Punjab, only former chief minister Amarinder Singh of Congress was lucky enough to romp home victorious.
Amarinder drubbed BJP`s Arun Jaitley from Amritsar in the one big contest which was keenly watched by everyone.
Congress put its bet on its sitting MLAs Amarinder Singh (Patiala), Sadhu Singh Dharamsot (Nabha), Sunil Kumar Jakhar (Abohar) and Joginder Singh Panjgrain (Jaito).
Not lagging behind SAD also tried its luck by fielding two sitting MLAs Pawan Kumar Teenu (Adampur) and Manpreet Singh Aiyali (Dakha).
Independent MLA from Atam Nagar, Simerjeet Singh Bains also put his hat in the ring from Ludhiana seat.
Sadhu Singh lost to AAP`s Harinder Singh Khalsa from Fatehgarh Sahib seat while Joginder Singh finished poor third at Faridkot where AAP`s Prof Sadhu Singh won, also beating sitting SAD MP Paramjeet Kaur Gulshan.
Jakhar was beaten by SAD sitting MP Sher Singh Ghubaya in Ferozepur.
Congress`s Santokh Singh drubbed SAD`s sitting MLA Teenu in Jalandhar, while Aiyali lost to Congress MP Ravneet Singh Bittu from Ludhiana while Bains finished third there.
Only one woman, Harsimrat Kaur Badal, wife of deputy chief minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, registered a win at the hustings from a total of 19 contestants. She defeated her cousin Manpreet Singh Badal of Congress in Bathinda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- High-speed Spanish Talgo train begins trial run, to be introduced on Delhi-Mumbai route
- Want to improve your sex life? Ditch tampons for menstrual cups!
- Batla House encounter: BJP protests outside Sonia Gandhi's residence
- 'FIR' actor Suresh Chatwal no more, co-star Kavita Kaushik expresses grief
- Virat Kohli fails to breach 1000-run barrier but breaks Suresh Raina's IPL batting record