Amarinder`s `clean chit` to Tytler is shocking: Badal
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Saturday described as "shocking" the reported "clean chit" given by Congress leader Amarinder Singh to Jagdish Tytler, one of the accused in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, during a TV interview.
"Today, Amarinder has chosen to stand by those who tortured and killed innocent Sikhs," Badal said.
"Amarinder shamelessly declares that Tyler had no role in the killing of Sikhs. Shock and utter disbelief is what I felt when I was told about this," he said.
Meanwhile, Amarinder in a separate statement issued at Amritsar, criticised the Chief Minister for "misinterpreting" his statement about Tytler vis-a-vis the 1984 anti-Sikh riots.
"I have neither given any clean chit to anyone nor do I like to blame someone just because Badal blames him," the Congress leader said.
Amarinder also said that no court has so far held Tytler guilty. "I have only stated what I heard during my visit to the riot hit areas and after meeting people there (in 1984)."
"Just because people like Badal will get annoyed with my speaking the truth does not make me shy from doing so," the former Punjab chief minister said.
Amarinder is contesting against senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley from Amritsar Lok Sabha constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy