Amisha Patel campaigns for Congress, says Anurag Thakur seen more with celebrities
Hamirpur: Bollywood actress Amisha Patel on Friday campaigned for Congress candidate from Hamirpur Lok Sabha constituency Rajinder Singh Rana and took a jibe at BJP nominee Anurag Thakur, saying "he is seen more with celebrities."
Describing Rana as a "down-to-earth" man, Amisha said, "I have come here to support him, but he is so simple and involved in social welfare activities that he did not even know my name."
"Anurag Thakur is seen more with celebrities," she alleged.
Amisha, who also participated in roadshows in the scorching heat, asked people to vote for a candidate who was committed to the wellbeing of the people.
State Youth Congress president Vikramaditya Singh, son of Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh, was also present at the roadshows. He asked people to vote for change and ensure victory of his party candidate who was always available in the constituency.
Congress is making all efforts to wrest the Hamirpur seat from BJP. Vikramaditya had been camping in the constituency.
Rana, who was earlier with BJP, resigned from the party and contested the Assembly election in December 2012 as an Independent candidate from Sujanpur and won.
He resigned his Assembly seat to join Congress and contest against Anurag Thakur, also the president of Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association.
The Election Commission has announced simultaneous Assembly by-election for Sujanpur and Rana`s wife Anita Rana is contesting the poll as a Congress candidate.
There are 10 candidates in the fray in Hamirpur constituency. Aam Adami Party has fielded Kamal Kanta Batra, mother of the 1999 Kargil war hero Capt Vikram Batra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!