Amisha Patel campaigns for Congress, says Anurag Thakur seen more with celebrities
Hamirpur: Bollywood actress Amisha Patel on Friday campaigned for Congress candidate from Hamirpur Lok Sabha constituency Rajinder Singh Rana and took a jibe at BJP nominee Anurag Thakur, saying "he is seen more with celebrities."
Describing Rana as a "down-to-earth" man, Amisha said, "I have come here to support him, but he is so simple and involved in social welfare activities that he did not even know my name."
"Anurag Thakur is seen more with celebrities," she alleged.
Amisha, who also participated in roadshows in the scorching heat, asked people to vote for a candidate who was committed to the wellbeing of the people.
State Youth Congress president Vikramaditya Singh, son of Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh, was also present at the roadshows. He asked people to vote for change and ensure victory of his party candidate who was always available in the constituency.
Congress is making all efforts to wrest the Hamirpur seat from BJP. Vikramaditya had been camping in the constituency.
Rana, who was earlier with BJP, resigned from the party and contested the Assembly election in December 2012 as an Independent candidate from Sujanpur and won.
He resigned his Assembly seat to join Congress and contest against Anurag Thakur, also the president of Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association.
The Election Commission has announced simultaneous Assembly by-election for Sujanpur and Rana`s wife Anita Rana is contesting the poll as a Congress candidate.
There are 10 candidates in the fray in Hamirpur constituency. Aam Adami Party has fielded Kamal Kanta Batra, mother of the 1999 Kargil war hero Capt Vikram Batra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs