"Amma wave" sweeps AAP away in Tamil Nadu
Chennai: The Aam Aadmi Party`s (AAP) debut Lok Sabha polls in Tamil Nadu proved to be a perfect disaster with all of its 24 candidates, including the prominent anti-nuclear activists S P Udayakumar and his two associates trounced.
AAP, as part of its campaign, took up several issues considered important in Tamil Nadu like the controversial methane coal bed project in Cauvery delta districts seeking to strike the right chord with the electorate.
The party even did what rivals called "poll gimmicks" like sweeping the floors of Chennai Central Railway Station to attract voters` attention. However, the electorate swept them away.
Notably, the three anti-nuclear activists S P Udayakumar, Pushparayan and S P Sesuraj, were expected to perform well since they contested constituencies in the districts around Kudankulam, in view of their prolonged protest against the nuclear power plant there.
However, all of them fared poorly. Udayakumar ended up in the fifth place after BJP, Congress, AIADMK and DMK in Kanyakumari with 15,204 votes and forfeited deposit.
In Tuticorin, M Pushparayan secured 26,476 votes and was relegated to the fifth place.
Even worse, in Tirunelveli, Sesuraj, secured 18,353 votes to end at the sixth place and the two were also expected to lose their deposits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read