Elections 2014: BJP the frontrunner in Daman & Diu
A Union Territory situated on the coast of the Arabian Sea. It was part of Portuguese India along with Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Goa for almost 450 years. It also has only one Lok Sabha which covers the entire area.
In the first elections in 1987, Indian National Congress won the Daman and Diu seat but had to hand over it to an independent candidate in 1989. In 1996, 1999 and 2004 Congress regained the seat. In 1991, 1998 and in the last elections of 2009, BJP sent its representative to the Lok Sabha.
Daman and Diu went on voting on April 30, 2014. Lalubhai Babubhai Patel is the present Member of Parliament from BJP.
According to the political mood in this UT, BJP is all set to retain its seat from Daman and Diu.
Like most Union Territories where the voter turn-outs have been high, Daman and Diu also crossed the 80% mark. The female voter turnout has also been very high in this Union Territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand