Lok Sabha polls 2014: BJP’s Kirron Kher likely to win from Chandigarh
Chandigarh has become the spotlight constituency among all other Union Territories for the 2014 General Elections after the announcement of high profile candidates by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Congress and Aam Aadmi Party (AAP). While Congress has fielded the veteran politician Pawan Kumar Bansal, BJP has put forward famous film star Kirron Kher and AAP’s candidate is actor Gul Panag. These three pronged candidacy had turned this Union Territory (UT) of India into a battle zone ahead of the polls.
Chandigarh has its representation only in Lok Sabha. This seat has primarily the domain of Indian National Congress and has maintained its winning streak from the last three elections. Only in 1996 and 1998, BJP had managed to wrest it from Congress.
This UT went to polls on April 10, 2014. Chandigarh with 74% recorded the highest voter turn-out in the third phase of voting.
Pawan Bansal though is a seasoned politician but his image has been hurt after the Railway scam in which his kin has been found to be involved.
On the other hand, BJP’s Kirron Kher might be from the glitzy world and is considered to be inexperienced in politics, but the ‘Modi wave’ just might help her sail through. Likewise, Gul Panag though is also from the glamour world, but her victory, while contesting on Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) ticket will be equally tough.
So, Chandigarh is an interesting seat with the involvement of such high-profile candidates, predicting the winner would be a bit difficult here. Though the fight between BJP and Congress is going to be tough, there are high chances that AAP may cut votes from both the parties. It would really amusing to see that how the veteran would handle the ladies from the film industry!
According to News24-Chanakya exit poll outcome, Kirron Kher of BJP is predicted to win from Chandigarh, defeating the Congress heavyweight Pawan Bansal and former Miss India Gul Panag. It has predicted that the vote share for BJP will be almost 36% while AAP will get 32% and the Congress a meagre 27%.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state