Another Tamil film star Vijay meets Narendra Modi
Coimbatore: Close on the heels of the meeting between Tamil superstar Rajnikanth and Narendra Modi recently in Chennai, another leading film star Vijay met the BJP Prime Ministerial candidate in this city on Wednesday.
The actor met him in a hotel near the airport soon after Modi arrived from Salem by helicopter. Details of the meeting were, however, were not known, BJP sources said.
The BJP leader is to address a rally here.
The sources claimed the meeting would have a positive impact on the younger generation voters for whom Vijay is the `hearthrob`.
They said the `Vijay Fans Association` is already involved in various social and welfare activities and the meeting, particularly the photographs taken, could play a major role in the election, particularly among women voters.
Association sources said there was no political motive behind the meeting. Modi had expressed a desire to meet the actor, which Vijay reciprocated due to the high regard and respect he had for him, they said.
Modi was scheduled to meet the actor in Chennai after meeting Rajnikanth on Sunday last but the latter was busy shooting in Andhra Pradesh and could not make it, they said.
VIjay has tweeted that he was privileged to be invited to a "non-political" meeting with Modi. "I am looking forward to meeting him," he posted on Twitter.
Modi shared the dais with Vijayakanth, another popular actor and leader of DMDK, an NDA ally, during electioneering in Salem, about 200 km from here.
On April 13, Modi had called on Rajinikant at his residence here but the actor termed it as a courtesy call and said no political significance should be attached to it.
Rajinikant had said he was a "well-wisher" of Modi and wished him "all the best" while Modi had described the superstar as a "good friend".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi