Assam govt not to allow victory processions in 11 districts
Guwahati: Assam government will not allow victory processions in eleven sensitive districts of the state and announced strict enforcement of prohibitory orders.
A decision to this effect was taken at the State Level Crisis Management Group (SLCMG) in a meeting chaired by Chief Secretary Jitesh Khosla.
The districts are Kokrajhar, Baksa, Chirang, Dhubri, Goalpara, Barpeta, Nalbari, Bongaigaon, Kamrup, Udalguri and Darrang.
The meeting decided that helicopter surveillance would continue in all vulnerable areas of BTAD districts and along the Indo-Bhutan Border, according to a press statement issued here.
Search operations for recovery of illegal arms and ammunition would be intensified and strong action taken against rumour mongers and anti-social elements.
Army would be kept on standby for quick deployment to deal with any eventuality, the statement said. It was also decided that all emergency services including fire, civil defence, VDP and Home Guard would be kept in readiness to deal with any situation.
The meeting was followed by video conference with the Deputy Commissioners and Superintendents of Police of the vulnerable districts to review law and order situation and preparedness for counting of votes.
The meeting also reviewed deployment of security forces in the state. More than 100 companies of Central Armed Police Force and State Armed Police have been deployed to deal with any situation in BTAD and adjoining districts while 141 fixed pickets and 35 mobile pickets have been setup.
The meeting was attended among others by DGP Khagen Sarmah, senior state government officials from Home, Revenue and other departments and representatives of the Army and Air Force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson became more popular after death: Amitabh Bachchan
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test, Day 3 — As it happened...
- Two dead, 10 injured as under-construction building collapses in Hyderabad
- 14 killed in Iraq suicide attack
- Kashmir needs political solution, Omar tells Rajnath