Azam Khan urges Bukhari to reconsider his support to Congress
Rampur: Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan has urged Shahi Imam of Delhi`s Jama Masjid Syed Ahmed Bukhari to reconsider his decision to support Congress, saying his appeal to Muslims could divide the community.
"By an appeal favoring a faint Congress, the strength of the Muslim community or electorate will be fractured and that position would be beneficial for communal forces like BJP," the minister said in a statement yesterday.
Bukhari had yesterday appealed to Muslims to support the Congress and ensure that secular votes are not divided.
Azam said "under present circumstances when the country`s reins are feared to be grabbed by the communal forces.I appeal you (Imam) to seriously reconsider your appeal and also not to issue any such appeal which might affect the honor of the Jama Masjid adversely due to shattering of Muslim`s oneness."
He said since Imam was holding a very responsible position in the Islamic religious world, it is inevitable that from his side only the messages strengthening national unity should be issued.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'