Azam Khan urges Bukhari to reconsider his support to Congress
Rampur: Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan has urged Shahi Imam of Delhi`s Jama Masjid Syed Ahmed Bukhari to reconsider his decision to support Congress, saying his appeal to Muslims could divide the community.
"By an appeal favoring a faint Congress, the strength of the Muslim community or electorate will be fractured and that position would be beneficial for communal forces like BJP," the minister said in a statement yesterday.
Bukhari had yesterday appealed to Muslims to support the Congress and ensure that secular votes are not divided.
Azam said "under present circumstances when the country`s reins are feared to be grabbed by the communal forces.I appeal you (Imam) to seriously reconsider your appeal and also not to issue any such appeal which might affect the honor of the Jama Masjid adversely due to shattering of Muslim`s oneness."
He said since Imam was holding a very responsible position in the Islamic religious world, it is inevitable that from his side only the messages strengthening national unity should be issued.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read