Badal exploited Punjabis: Amarinder
Amritsar: Congress leader Amarinder Singh on Wednesday hit out Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal saying he had always exploited the sentiments of Punjabis for personal gains.
Appealing to people for votes, Amarinder said Badal led Punjab down on the economic and developmental front while his personal fortunes kept multiplying.
"From day one he has practised the politics of deceit and fraud and betrayal and backstabbed all those who supported and stood by him," he said, referring to how he let down senior party colleagues and leaders.
"He just can`t look beyond his own family," he said, addressing public rallies in Shukrachak and Vishambarpura villages in Attari here and urged the people to ask Badal what his contribution towards Punjab was.
Amarinder, who was former chief minister of the state, asked the farmers in the region to compare Badal`s regime with his own and decide which was better.
"When was it that you got regular free power for eight hours for your tubewells and when was it that your crops were lifted within 24 hours?" he asked, while indicating that under the Akalis, they didn`t get even two-hour power supply and had to wait in mandis to sell their crops.
He also warned Revenue Minister Bikram Singh Majithia asking him to desist from his alleged arm-twisting and intimidating tactics and said law will catch up with him soon and he will have to account for all his sins.
Amarinder expressed concern over the spread of drug addiction particularly in the border belt.
He alleged drug trafficking was also patronised by the Akalis, particularly Majithia, who had been named in the charge-sheet in connection with the case related to arrest of drug smuggler Jagdish Bhola.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Rising snowfall in Antarctic may help offset global sea-level surge
- Differences alone cannot define Sino-India ties: Chinese media
- Tata Hexa, Safari Storme to get 1.9-litre diesel in 2017
- MFs asset base from B15 cities up 19% to Rs 2 lakh crore
- Those killed in Kashmir hadn't gone to buy milk and toffee, says Mehbooba Mufti