Bappi Lahiri wants to sing his way to Parliament
Kolkata: Singing some of his hit numbers like `Ooh la la la` and `I am a disco dancer` in his poll campaign, Bappi Lahiri is using his music to seek votes as a BJP candidate.
As he moves around the streets of the Serampore Lok Sabha constituency, 22 km away from Kolkata, Bollywood`s `Disco King` Bappi `da` breaks into a song every now and then while interacting with voters in his constituency.
The 61-year-old doesn`t mind shaking legs too to woo star-struck voters who have never seen a Bollywood personality visiting their neighbourhood.
"My songs have kept me alive and kicking in Bollywood for so many years. I am not a retired musician. Even my new songs are a big hit. I can do anything with my songs and this time I want the lotus (BJP`s poll symbol) to bloom with my music," Lahiri told PTI here.
The man who pioneered the use of disco music in Indian cinema with an Indian flavour is best known for his songs like `Koi Yahan Nache Nache`, `Jimmy Jimmy`, `Zubi Zubi`, `Jee Le Le`, `Bambai Se Aaya mera Dost`, `Raat Baaki`, `Tamma Tamma Loge` and `Chalte Chalte`.
A first-timer in politics, he has made it a point to never attack the Congress or the CPI(M), nor the Trinamool Congress in election meetings.
"I will not say any thing about others. I respect everyone," is his reply when asked about sitting Trinamool Congress MP Kalyan Banerjee.
He is even praise for Trinamool supremo Mamata Banerjee, saying everything is good in West Bengal under her chief ministership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video