BJD, AIADMK keeping options open on support to NDA
New Delhi/Chennai: BJD and AIADMK today appeared to be keeping their options open on helping NDA form the government amidst BJP`s signals that it would welcome support from anybody in the national interest.
UPA ally NCP, meanwhile, dismissed speculation about cosying up to the NDA. BJP leader Gopinath Munde also said his party will not "feel their need".
BJD chief and Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and AIADMK supremo and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said they were yet to take any decision on the issue of support and were awaiting the Lok Sabha poll results.
The comments came amid speculation that BJP leaders were in touch with these parties for support. BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi held consultations with senior party colleagues, including Rajnath Singh and Arun Jaitley, in Gandhinagar on the post-poll prospects.
"No such thought has been given. No decision has been taken at the moment. We will see in the future," Patnaik told reporters here when asked whether he would support NDA if Odisha is granted `special` category status.
When referred to the talk that NDA is the "best alternative", he replied, "I don`t know about that. But I want to state clearly no thought (has been given) and no decision has been taken about any alliance."
He noted that BJD`s policy has been to "keep equi-distance both from the BJP and the Congress". However, BJD`s chief whip Pravat Tripathy said, "Keeping in view the opinion of the whole country and the state`s interest, there should be no problem in providing conditional support to NDA to form government at the Centre."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!