BJD, AIADMK keeping options open on support to NDA
New Delhi/Chennai: BJD and AIADMK today appeared to be keeping their options open on helping NDA form the government amidst BJP`s signals that it would welcome support from anybody in the national interest.
UPA ally NCP, meanwhile, dismissed speculation about cosying up to the NDA. BJP leader Gopinath Munde also said his party will not "feel their need".
BJD chief and Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and AIADMK supremo and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said they were yet to take any decision on the issue of support and were awaiting the Lok Sabha poll results.
The comments came amid speculation that BJP leaders were in touch with these parties for support. BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi held consultations with senior party colleagues, including Rajnath Singh and Arun Jaitley, in Gandhinagar on the post-poll prospects.
"No such thought has been given. No decision has been taken at the moment. We will see in the future," Patnaik told reporters here when asked whether he would support NDA if Odisha is granted `special` category status.
When referred to the talk that NDA is the "best alternative", he replied, "I don`t know about that. But I want to state clearly no thought (has been given) and no decision has been taken about any alliance."
He noted that BJD`s policy has been to "keep equi-distance both from the BJP and the Congress". However, BJD`s chief whip Pravat Tripathy said, "Keeping in view the opinion of the whole country and the state`s interest, there should be no problem in providing conditional support to NDA to form government at the Centre."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price