BJD, AIADMK keeping options open on support to NDA
New Delhi/Chennai: BJD and AIADMK today appeared to be keeping their options open on helping NDA form the government amidst BJP`s signals that it would welcome support from anybody in the national interest.
UPA ally NCP, meanwhile, dismissed speculation about cosying up to the NDA. BJP leader Gopinath Munde also said his party will not "feel their need".
BJD chief and Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and AIADMK supremo and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said they were yet to take any decision on the issue of support and were awaiting the Lok Sabha poll results.
The comments came amid speculation that BJP leaders were in touch with these parties for support. BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi held consultations with senior party colleagues, including Rajnath Singh and Arun Jaitley, in Gandhinagar on the post-poll prospects.
"No such thought has been given. No decision has been taken at the moment. We will see in the future," Patnaik told reporters here when asked whether he would support NDA if Odisha is granted `special` category status.
When referred to the talk that NDA is the "best alternative", he replied, "I don`t know about that. But I want to state clearly no thought (has been given) and no decision has been taken about any alliance."
He noted that BJD`s policy has been to "keep equi-distance both from the BJP and the Congress". However, BJD`s chief whip Pravat Tripathy said, "Keeping in view the opinion of the whole country and the state`s interest, there should be no problem in providing conditional support to NDA to form government at the Centre."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM