BJD govt neck-deep in corruption : TMC
Bhubaneswar: Accusing BJD government in Odisha of being `neck-deep in corruption`, Trinamool Congress leader Soumen Mahapatra Monday said besides mining and other scams, the state suffered from misrule in the last 14 years as all promises on development turned out to be hollow.
"BJD regime is neck-deep in corruption which has engulfed Odisha ... The M B Shah Commission`s report has mentioned mining scam to the tune of Rs 60,000 crore," Mahapatra, who is the West Bengal Water Resources minister told newsmen here.
Despite BJD government`s claim of being clean, its 14-year rule has become a dark chapter in Odisha as mine mafias are controlling the political leaders, he alleged.
Charging BJD of being in power in Odisha for a third term by making false promises, Mahapatra said farmers in the state were hit hard as only eight per cent of the land could be irrigated in the last 14 years and not a single cold storage was constructed by the government.
BJD has this time promised to provide employment to 15 lakh youths, but people are not sure whether 15,000 persons were given jobs in the last 14 years, he said.
Ridiculing Naveen Patnaik government`s claims about progress and development, Mahapatra sought to know why Odisha occupied number one position in the list of most backward states in the country.
Due to acute unemployment, thousands of people move out of Odisha in search of jobs elsewhere, he said dubbing BJD`s claims about development as `hollow`.
Hitting out at Congress, he said corruption was rampant during BJD rule as the main opposition party failed to discharge its duty as it had weakened.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org