BJD govt neck-deep in corruption : TMC
Bhubaneswar: Accusing BJD government in Odisha of being `neck-deep in corruption`, Trinamool Congress leader Soumen Mahapatra Monday said besides mining and other scams, the state suffered from misrule in the last 14 years as all promises on development turned out to be hollow.
"BJD regime is neck-deep in corruption which has engulfed Odisha ... The M B Shah Commission`s report has mentioned mining scam to the tune of Rs 60,000 crore," Mahapatra, who is the West Bengal Water Resources minister told newsmen here.
Despite BJD government`s claim of being clean, its 14-year rule has become a dark chapter in Odisha as mine mafias are controlling the political leaders, he alleged.
Charging BJD of being in power in Odisha for a third term by making false promises, Mahapatra said farmers in the state were hit hard as only eight per cent of the land could be irrigated in the last 14 years and not a single cold storage was constructed by the government.
BJD has this time promised to provide employment to 15 lakh youths, but people are not sure whether 15,000 persons were given jobs in the last 14 years, he said.
Ridiculing Naveen Patnaik government`s claims about progress and development, Mahapatra sought to know why Odisha occupied number one position in the list of most backward states in the country.
Due to acute unemployment, thousands of people move out of Odisha in search of jobs elsewhere, he said dubbing BJD`s claims about development as `hollow`.
Hitting out at Congress, he said corruption was rampant during BJD rule as the main opposition party failed to discharge its duty as it had weakened.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing