BJD to observe Biju Patnaik`s death anniversary on poll day
Bhubaneswar: In a strategic move coinciding with the second and last phase of polling in Odisha tomorrow, the ruling BJD has planned a statewide observation of the 17th death anniversary of legendary leader Biju Patnaik.
Party workers and supporters have been asked to garland the photographs of Biju Patnaik at 7:00 am tomorrow, BJD sources said.
The timing coincides with the beginning of polling in 11 Lok Sabha and 77 assembly segments spread over 13 districts considered BJD strongholds.
Of the 11 Lok Sabha seats going to the polls tomorrow, nine have been won by BJD in the 2009 elections.
The BJD, named after Biju Patnaik, has also decided to organise meetings in all gram panchayats, blocks and district headquarters in memory of the leader, considered as the architect of modern Odisha, the sources said.
Former chief minister and former union minister Biju Patnaik had passed away on April 17, 1997 after which his younger son Naveen Patnaik entered politics and formed the BJD.
Since his entry into politics, Naveen has not lost any election as the president of Biju Janata Dal. He has continued as chief minister thrice in a row from 2000 to 2014 and is confident of retaining power after this election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy