BJP alleges discrimination towards government officers on poll duty
Itanagar: The BJP in Arunachal Pradesh has alleged discrimination towards government officials on election duty in remote Kurung Kumey district, who could not cast their postal ballots due to short notice.
"The employees engaged on election duty were given `limited` time for casting postal ballot and that too they had to compulsorily cast their votes at the office of Returning Officer without being issued election duty certificate (EDC) through which they could cast their vote at their place of duty also," party`s spokesman Techi Necha said in a statement here today.
Referring to the Kurung Kumey DEO`s notice issued on March 30 last which said the employees on election duty at Palin, Nyapin, Tali and Koloriang assembly constituencies had to cast their votes at Koloriang from April 2 to 4, the party claimed most of the employees still remained uninformed and would be denied of the voting right.
"Because of the short notice given, the employees on election duty were denied of exercising their adult franchise, which is undemocratic and discrimination to large chunk of voters. At least a week`s time could have been given keeping in view of the road communication problems and non-receipt of DEO`s notice in the matter," the party said.
It sought the intervention of the Election Commission so that those `deprived` employees could exercise their right to vote or given the EDC option.
The party also urged the Commission to check the alleged participation of government officials in election campaigning across the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof