BJP candidate moves HC against rejection of nomination
Chennai: A day after his nomination for Nilgiris Lok Sabha constituency was rejected during scrutiny, BJP candidate S Gurumurthy on Tuesday moved the Madras High Court challenging the Returning Officer`s order.
In a writ petition, he sought a direction to the RO not to declare the list of valid candidates till the disposal of his petition.
RO Nilgris (SC) constituency P Shankar yesterday rejected the nomination papers of Gurumurthy on technical grounds, citing delayed submission of "B form".
In his petition, Gurumurthy said under Section 36(4) of Representation of Peoples Act, the returning officer should not reject the nomination papers of the candidates on the ground of defect which was not substantial in character.
He said the RO, who is vested with the quasi-judicial power, has to exercise it only after giving an opportunity to the candidate.
"Refusal to give an opportunity to the candidate and rejecting the nomination paper without giving at least a day of time is clearly an arbitrary exercise of power," he contended.
He submitted that if the RO had given him an opportunity to explain about the defect, he would have satisfied the RO which may have not resulted in rejection of his nomination papers.
He prayed for a direction to the RO to call for the records and include his name in the valid list of candidates contesting from the constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you