BJP candidate moves HC against rejection of nomination
Chennai: A day after his nomination for Nilgiris Lok Sabha constituency was rejected during scrutiny, BJP candidate S Gurumurthy on Tuesday moved the Madras High Court challenging the Returning Officer`s order.
In a writ petition, he sought a direction to the RO not to declare the list of valid candidates till the disposal of his petition.
RO Nilgris (SC) constituency P Shankar yesterday rejected the nomination papers of Gurumurthy on technical grounds, citing delayed submission of "B form".
In his petition, Gurumurthy said under Section 36(4) of Representation of Peoples Act, the returning officer should not reject the nomination papers of the candidates on the ground of defect which was not substantial in character.
He said the RO, who is vested with the quasi-judicial power, has to exercise it only after giving an opportunity to the candidate.
"Refusal to give an opportunity to the candidate and rejecting the nomination paper without giving at least a day of time is clearly an arbitrary exercise of power," he contended.
He submitted that if the RO had given him an opportunity to explain about the defect, he would have satisfied the RO which may have not resulted in rejection of his nomination papers.
He prayed for a direction to the RO to call for the records and include his name in the valid list of candidates contesting from the constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested