BJP fields Purandeswari from Rajampet
Rajampet: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has fielded former union minister D. Purandeswari from Rajampet Lok Sabhaconstituency in Andhra Pradesh.
Purandeswari, daughter of Telugu Desam Party (TDP) founder and former Andhra Pradesh chief minister N.T. Rama Rao, recently quit as the central minister to protest bifurcation of the state. She also resigned from the Congress party and joined the BJP last month.
She was elected from Visakhapatnam in 2009 elections and was reportedly keen to contest again from the same constituency on the BJP ticket. The BJP, however, fielded its Andhra Pradesh unit chief K. Haribabu from Visakhapatnam.
With this, the BJP has named candidates for all four Lok Sabha and 13 assembly seats it got in Seemandhra as part of the alliance with the TDP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family