BJP has not fully accepted Gorkhaland demand: Jaswant
Darjeeling: Expelled BJP leader Jaswant Singh, who won Darjeeling Lok Sabha seat on the party ticket in 2009, has claimed that the saffron party has not fully accepted the demand for Gorkhaland.
"It is sad BJP has not fully accepted the statehood demand of the Darjeeling hills. The party is trying to ride on two boats over the Gorkhaland issue. I don`t know if the BJP is sincere towards the statehood demand, but I certainly am," Singh told reporters here yesterday.
"It is a reality that the state BJP will never agree to a division. Bengal has already seen two divisions and does not want another. But I don`t view the creation of a Gorkhaland state as a division of Bengal because that is the only correct solution," said the 76-year-old politician expelled from BJP in March last.
Singh, fighting the current election as an Independent from his home town Barmer in Rajasthan, won the Darjeeling Lok Sabha seat in 2009 with the support of the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) as BJP promised for Gorkhaland.
Responding to allegations of remaining absent from his constituency for the greater part of his tenure, he said, "With elections come allegations and it is not necessary to give answers to all of them."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections